- Commonwealth of Learning (COL)
- University of Mauritius
This module provides an overview of the Internet of Things (IoT) and Cloud Computing concepts, infrastructures and capabilities. This will help students gain the necessary knowledge to construct IoT systems and use cloud services for processing and storage of the data produced by the IoT devices. Emphasis will be placed on the architecture and design of IoT systems, the different technologies (wireless/mobile/sensor) governing system implementation and the migration of the data to the Cloud for processing. This module aims to develop knowledge and critical understanding of the underlying principles of Cloud Computing and IoT systems, and the commercial and business implications of technical advances in this area. Students will gain practical experience in the development of Cloud-based IoT systems and exposure to appropriate hardware and software platforms that underpin such development.
By the end of the course, you are expected to be able to:
- 1. Describe the IoT and Cloud architectures 2. Determine the right sensors and communication protocols to use in a particular IoT system. 3. Deploy Cloud Services using different cloud technologies. 4. Implement cloud computing elements such virtual machines, web apps, mobile services, etc. 5. Establish data migration techniques from IoT devices to the cloud. 6. Implement security features to protect data stored in the cloud. 7. Use visualisation techniques to show data generated from the IoT device.
This course is divided into 4 modules, namely:
- 1. Introduction to IoT and Cloud 2. Internet of Things 3. Cloud Computing 4. Application of IoT and Cloud
Unit 1: Introduction to IoT & Cloud
- Topic 1: Trends of Computing Topic 2: Introduction to IoT
Unit 2: Internet of Things
- Topic 1: IoT Architectures Topic 2: IoT Devices and Sensors Topic 3: IoT communication and protocols
Unit 3: Cloud Computing
- Topic 1: Cloud Computing Fundamentals Topic 2: Cloud Computing Architectures Topic 3: Cloud Types and Services Topic 4: Virtualization and Resource Management
Unit 4: Application of IoT & Cloud
- Topic 1: IoT and cloud integration Topic 2: Application development and cloud processing Topic 3: Security and Privacy for IoT/Cloud Computing
Prerequisite: This course requires learners to have prior knowledge of programming in Java.